AAAAI President Featured in USA Today “Asthma & Allergies” Supplement
AAAAI President, David B. Peden, MD, MS, FAAAAI, was featured in an article in the USA Today Supplement “Asthma & Allergies.” His foreword included information on the prevalence of allergic disease and emphasized the benefits of seeing a board certified allergist/immunologist. To view the article, click here.
AAAAI Fellow Leads Study Investigating Cancer Drug as Asthma Treatment
In a recent study in the New England Journal of Medicine (NEJM), lead investigator Elliot M. Israel, MD, FAAAAI, and his team looked into the possibility of using the cancer drug imatinib, commonly called Gleevec, as a possible treatment for severe refractory asthma. Patients on imatinib with severe asthma had decreased airway hyperresponsiveness, mast-cell counts and tryptase release compared to the placebo group. The study involved 62 patients. Half of the patients were treated with the drug and 8 of those patients dropped out. To learn more, read the article on STAT or view the article “KIT Inhibition by Imatinib in Patients with Severe Refractory Asthma” on NEJM’s website.
- Joint Congress Updates: Keynote Speaker Announced, Abstract and Case Report Submissions Due August 31
- Want Extra Help Getting to Orlando?
- Make an Impact, Join a Committee
- Enticing the Next Generation of Allergist/Immunologists
- New! The Practice Management Workshop Now Online
- Save the Date: JACI: In Practice Virtual Journal Club Webinar on September 14
- Educate Patients During Our Back-to-School Twitter Chat
- It’s Been a Busy Summer for the AAAAI Foundation
- Apply for Research Awards
- View Sessions from the 2017 Annual Meeting
- Check Out the Latest Opportunities in the Career Connections Center