AAAAI President Featured in USA Today “Asthma & Allergies” Supplement
AAAAI President, David B. Peden, MD, MS, FAAAAI, was featured in an article in the USA Today Supplement “Asthma & Allergies.” His foreword included information on the prevalence of allergic disease and emphasized the benefits of seeing a board certified allergist/immunologist. To view the article, click here.
AAAAI Fellow Leads Study Investigating Cancer Drug as Asthma Treatment
In a recent study in the New England Journal of Medicine (NEJM), lead investigator Elliot M. Israel, MD, FAAAAI, and his team looked into the possibility of using the cancer drug imatinib, commonly called Gleevec, as a possible treatment for severe refractory asthma. Patients on imatinib with severe asthma had decreased airway hyperresponsiveness, mast-cell counts and tryptase release compared to the placebo group. The study involved 62 patients. Half of the patients were treated with the drug and 8 of those patients dropped out. To learn more, read the article on STAT or view the article “KIT Inhibition by Imatinib in Patients with Severe Refractory Asthma” on NEJM’s website.
- See What’s New at the 2018 Practice Management Workshop
- Provide Your Thoughts on the Future of Board Certification
- New for Members! Bookmark Your Most Used Pages on the AAAAI Website
- New AHRQ Report: Intermittent Inhaled Corticosteroids and Long-Acting Muscarinic Antagonists for Asthma
- Did You Claim Your Credits from the Joint Congress?
- Earn Free CME with Making IT Count Series
- Are You in Our Photos from Orlando?
- Find Your Next Career Move