From the President
The AAAAI has completed the first step in our ongoing evaluation of the role of allergy/immunology (A/I) in the healthcare system and development of a strategy to ensure we have a seat at the table. This first step was the Summit for the Future of Allergy and Immunology, which took place October 19-22 in Washington, DC. It went very well and, as expected, there was a great deal of productive discussion.
While there are a number of challenges, we have identified opportunities for A/I in our continually evolving healthcare system if we seize the opportunity. The AAAAI has laid the groundwork in several important ways, including:
- investing in a registry
- communicating with experts in healthcare finance to determine how reimbursement can be maximized in population management, particularly of high risk populations
- exploring ways to obtain objective data that demonstrates that A/I has better outcomes in asthma, drug hypersensitivity, immune deficiency, urticaria, anaphylaxis, and food allergy (an area in which we are uniquely qualified).
The Summit would not have been a success without our participants, which included representatives from various AAAAI constituencies as well as academic administrators, government, payors, large group practices and related organizations including the American Board of Allergy and Immunology and the American College of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology. My sincere thanks to everyone who attended.
As previously mentioned, the results of the Summit will ultimately be developed into a white paper and shared with AAAAI leaders and members. We will continue to communicate with you as we move forward with this process. And for additional coverage of the Summit, look for the fall issue of Impact to arrive in your mailbox near the beginning of December.
AAAAI Names New Website and Social Media Medical Editors
In other news, Thanai Pongdee, MD, FAAAAI, will be completing his term as AAAAI Website and Social Media Medical Editor on December 31. Dr. Pongdee has served in this role since the fall of 2008 and has worked tirelessly to make aaaai.org the definitive online resource for information on allergies, asthma and immunologic diseases. He is also responsible for growing the AAAAI’s social media strategy and presence. Today the AAAAI has nearly 52,000 followers on Facebook and over 6,500 followers on Twitter. On behalf of the Board of Directors, we are extremely grateful for everything Dr. Pongdee has done over his term.
After an extensive search process, we are pleased to announce Andrew D. Moore, MD, FAAAAI, as the next Website Medical Editor and David R. Stukus, MD, FAAAAI, as the next Social Media Medical Editor. The position has been divided into two complementary roles because of the increasing importance that technology and social media play in helping us communicate with key audiences. Dr. Moore and Dr. Stukus each bring a wide range of experience that will help the AAAAI continue to grow in both areas. While they officially begin their terms on January 1, they are already working alongside Dr. Pongdee to ensure a smooth transition. You can read more about the new editors here.
Finally, March will be here before we know it. If you are planning to join us March 2-5 in Orlando for the 2018 AAAAI/WAO Joint Congress, it’s in your best interest to register and book your hotel accommodations as soon as possible. There are certain ticketed session that have already sold out. I can say with confidence that you won’t want to miss the excellent educational program that we have planned. You can browse the online version of the program, as well as register and book your hotel, at annualmeeting.aaaai.org.
David B. Peden, MD, MS, FAAAAI
Last updated: November 14, 2017
- Joint Congress Updates: Early Bird Pricing Ends Tomorrow, Abstracts Now Available
- Visit the Education Station or Practice Resources Corner in Orlando
- View the 2018 Honorary Award Recipients
- Last Chance to Pre-Register for AAAAI Foundation Events
- Have You Renewed Your Membership for 2018?
- Coming Soon: Prepare Your 2019 Annual Meeting Proposals and Register for the Practice Management Workshop
- Limited Availability: Register for ACAAI/AAAAI Joint Board Review Course Today
- View February’s Featured Jobs and Attend the Career Connections Job Fair